Friday, February 02, 2007

.t.

Blessed.

that's what i am.
In like 4 days' time i'm gonna leave the realm of youth. Like, seriously. Its the age at which one realizes that, above being able to vote/watch restricted movies/buy my own flat/open a *&^%$#!! bank account without having to have a bankbook, one really becomes what people term as 'an adult'.
Which in my opinion, is bloody scary.
But hey, its 2007. And i'm turning 21. Bern says tt means i've spent 7665 days on earth, and that is scarily true. But last night, when i got home, i sat down which dad to talk about..life (Well, actually he did most of the talking and i listened coz i was really tired). And then i realized that, i have never counted my blessings. And so i did a quick mental one, and this is what i came up with:
  1. I've never had to worry about $$. That is the truth. I'm blessed because my famil is well-to-do. BUT that doesn't mean i have to flaunt it. And i'm thankful that i was brought up to appreciate the value of the dollar.
  2. I've got friends who mean the world to me, and vice versa. In some sense, i'm blessed because these friends have stuck by me through thick and thin. Yea, on the way some fell of the wagon but then they climbed back on. I mean, come on, u know that you've got good friends in those who will come halfway across the island to help you paint your window sill, or just sit down and talk about nothing, and ESPECIALLY when you try to have a small dinner party for close friends; and its hard to keep the number SMALL. And i don't mean that in a haolian way. I know i don't have to mention any of their names, because they know i love them.
  3. I'm one of the few people who have been able to say,"hey, i've done so-and-so...and this and that...", and know that i may well be one of the blessed few in the country to do that. From the gold in '05 to getting into law, i know i'm fortunate. =)
  4. I guess the most important of all is my family - Bern, bu and dad. Yes, we are imperfect in so many ways (think non-matching furniture that had to be majorly revamped by bern and i), but it is our shortcomings that results in laughter, reminiscing, bitching, and finally the love. The one i term love the lee way. From the simple walks in the morning at the bicycle track, to TCM suppers (family code for toechew mui) at Havelock, to shopping trips with Bern that end up in cafes after cafes eating mudpies and drinking teas, to lunches with the dad. Wow, i could go on forever.
  5. Need i mention the breastie? =) She knows she's loved by me (Not in the Aunty Alison/Aunty Jane construed way!), and the fact that both our moms are homies who probably can't do without each other as much as us means that this friendship is gonna least for a really, really, really, really long time.
  6. Materialistically speaking, i know i've got almost everything a boy could want. Yes, there is that b&o 10-cd speaker system, and yes there is the Apple 30-inch HD screen, and yes there is the Maserati Quattroporte and Aston Martin DB9 all out there waiting for me, but hey, i'm in no hurry to get all those. I'll earn the money to get the dream items - that's what life is about sometimes, isn't it? For now, i'm happy with my Vaio, my 2nd-hand projector+dvd system, and my RX 300. =) I'm blessed, i am.

Wow, if your still reading, i guess your really bored/your curiosity has been piqued. Either way, i just thought that before i formally become an 'adult' (even though many sources agree that its gonna take another 5 or 6 years before my mind catches up), i thought i'd write about my past 20 years.

I'm blessed, I am.

-lu